Stephen J. Crane | Founding Partner
Stephen J. Crane has focused his private law practice over the past 37 years on general civil litigation, class actions, serious personal injury, real estate in its many aspects, corporate and business law. His clients range from individuals to small family businesses to Fortune 500 corporations to local and state agencies in need of specialized or local services.
• Professional History: Mr. Crane has been in private practice since 1976. After working as a judicial law clerk and as a trial attorney with the Seattle King County of Public Defender, he was employed as staff attorney, then as executive director of the Washington State Council on Environmental Policy writing rules and regulations interpreting the State Environmental Policy Act.
• Practice Areas: In 1978, Mr. Crane was a co-founder of the present firm. Since then, he has had substantial experience in all aspects of real estate development, transactions and litigation, as well as in serious personal injury, employment and plaintiffs’ matters, including class actions.
• Development activity: In addition to working as retained counsel for private clients and public agencies, Mr. Crane has acted in a principal capacity in several large development projects. These projects include the $100M+ W hotel in downtown Seattle.
• Professional Organizations: Mr. Crane is a member of the Western District Federal Court, Ninth Circuit and United States Supreme Court Bars. He is a member of the Seattle-King County Bar Association and the Washington State, American Bar Association. He has served on a number of committees, been co-chair of and spoken at numerous continuing legal education seminars and contributed to a number of bar publications.
• Community Service: Mr. Crane has served as the Chairman of the Land Use and Development Committee of the Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, and by Mayor appointment on the Special Review Board for the Chinatown International District.
• Family and Community: Mr. Crane and his wife have three children and live in Laurelhurst area of Seattle, Washington. Mr. Crane has served on the Board and as President of both the Wedgwood Swim Club, and the Board and the Laurelhurst Beach Club. He also ran and completed three charity fund raising marathons in Athens, Honolulu, and Seattle.
• Education: Mr. Crane received his B.A. in Political Science at California State University at San Jose in 1968, his J.D. from Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco in 1972, and his L.L.M. from the University of Washington in 1974.